A baby who was recently returned to its mother from an alleged kidnapping died on Saturday after being rushed to hospital.

Ky’air Thomas and his twin brother, Kason, were found alive last month after a woman allegedly stole a car with them still inside. Both children were returned home to their mother in Ohio, the Columbus Police Division said in December.

On Saturday, Columbus police were called to a residence following reports that a baby was not breathing. Ky’air was pronounced dead after being taken to the National Children’s Hospital, according to police.

A cause of death has not been released.

Nalah Jackson is accused of stealing a 2010 Honda Accord outside a restaurant in the Short North neighborhood on December 19, with the two twins inside. Ky’air was later found at Dayton International Airport and Jackson was arrested, but Kason was still missing.

The Honda Accord, with Kason inside, was later found abandoned near a Papa John’s restaurant in Indianapolis.

Shyann Belmar said WCMH, NBC affiliate that they had taken Jackson to a gas station on December 20 and later saw his photo on Facebook in connection with the kidnapping allegations.

«I wouldn’t move from the picture until I could find out where I knew her from, and I said, ‘I hope I don’t know her,’ but something told me, she looks like the girl that was in my car,» Belmar said.

She and Jackson had exchanged numbers, so Belmar told WCMH that she and her cousin, Mecka Curry, arranged to take Jackson to numerous stores, eventually calling police with his location.

After Jackson was arrested, the two women said they went out to eat and saw the Honda with Kason inside.

Local authorities charged Jackson with two counts of kidnapping after his arrest in December. She was also charged with two counts of kidnapping a minor in the Southern District of Ohio following an indictment earlier this month.

A guilty plea has yet to be entered in Jackson’s federal case, according to court records. It wasn’t immediately clear if Jackson had pleaded guilty in his state case, which is scheduled for a court hearing Tuesday, according to Franklin County inmate records.